Grace


I used to walk to work. Im not very good in the mornings and it woke me up! I would walk along the canal and then up past the Cathedral and on to the Victorian Restaurant for a bacon sandwich. I was a very bad vegetarian and bacon was the last port of call! 

This one day I was passing the Cathedral when I heard a voice say "Have you got any change?" I used to work with the homeless so Im sensitive to their plight. I looked up. There was a skinny blond haired man with clear blue eyes staring at me. I was now awake. 

I thought quickly. "I don't have any money (I never did or do have much money!), but ill buy you breakfast, I said.

He jumped up quickly clearly delighted! We walked to the restaurant. The manager met me at the door and said "He can't come in!". Ok I said we'll have a take away. Then the manager relented and said he could come in if I made sure he didn't go to the toilet! A tall and impossible task I thought!

But we went in. He ordered beans on toast (not good if you retrying to stop someone going to the toilet!). He said "I could make a fuss you know..." I said "Don't even think about it!" And was regretting this interruption to my normal breakfast. 

However the breakfast past without any further events. I walked on to work relieved. I later discovered he had blocked the toilets with needles, hence the prohibition. 

Some six months or so later I went to my local gym and was readying myself to go on the running machine when I heard a loud cheery voice shout "Hello vicar!". It was my breakfast companion and I wanted to hide and just get on with my exercise! 

"Ive got myself together and got a flat", he said, displaying a large cross around his neck. I was shocked. He did indeed look healthy and well and was here at the gym exercising. I tried to remember what we had talked about but could think of nothing significant enough to prompt such a change. I knew I hadn't bestowed any wisdom on my part and remembered my reticence. Grace I thought. Nothing whatsoever to do with me and I knew it to be absolutely the case. I finished my laps on the running machine and went home. I never saw him again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warm Space